Foley Infant Academy’s curriculum has been designed to:
- We want our children to develop a life-long love and passion for the power of reading and writing.
- We want all of our children be confident fluent readers who read widely, read often, read for pleasure and read to learn. We want them to be exposed to a variety of literature, genres and authors.
- We believe that children need to develop a secure skill set in English, which follows a clear pathway of progression in terms of both reading and writing. This will give the children the confidence to apply their learnt skills within their own learning within English lessons and across the wider curriculum.
- We want to create a culture in which children take pride in their writing, can write clearly and accurately and adapt their language and style for a range of contexts, audiences and purposes.
- We want our children to aspire to be authors: to develop an individual style and tone, drawing upon the styles of authors they encounter through their reading and to see writing as a process that involves initial thinking (planning), and editing (reflecting upon and refining) and publishing (polishing).
- We want our children to communicate with confidence: to enter discussion and to present their ideas to each other by talking, being able to elaborate and explain themselves clearly, make presentations and participate in debates.